Beer and the Internet, Ep. 165

Posted by Paulon June 11, 2012 |
Beer and the Internet, Ep. 165

It’s you, it’s us, it’s me, it’s Beer America TV…all hail the video beer blogger! We started our little vlog back in 2008, and you’d be hard pressed to find more then a handful on the entire internet back then. Today, there are all types and number in the hundreds. They range from homebrew experts, to the everyday Joe with a webcam and a bottle of beer. This week we tackle the topic of beer and the internet, so let us know your favorites, both the best and the worst on your list.

• Tom Said,

Besides BeerAmerica.TV, my other fave is BrewingTV from Northern Brewer, the homebrew supplier. I don’t brew. But the technical depth in BrewingTV vids helps my beer tasting tremendously. And for BeerAmerica.TV, John’s explanations of technical details is a key reason I look forward to each episode of BeerAmerica.TV.

Posted on June 13th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

• Paul Leone Said,

Thanks for that Tom! When I started this, I knew I needed someone with enormous credibility and that’s why I chose John!! Brewing TV is good, and there are a few others that are pretty good as well.

Posted on June 13th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

• Grant Said,

I enjoyed Brewmasters too but think one of the reasons it failed after only 6 episodes (I think) is that it got to be formulaic:

1. Sam has an idea for a new beer.
    2. There is a short deadline.
    3. Sam travels to find exotic ingredients.
    4. Something goes wrong at the brewery.
    5. They pull it off in the nick of time.

I appreciated the educational side of the show about the ingredients and the brewing process but I think the show needed something more. I think it needed some humor and quirkiness like Alton Brown brings to Good Eats on the Food Network. He keeps it educational and mixes up the topics each week with different recipes. But one thing that keeps it going over the years is the writing. Perhaps Brewmasters might have done better if it had been more of a scripted, educational show than a reality show.

Just my two cents. Keep up the great work on BeerAmerica.TV. I really enjoy the podcast.

Posted on June 15th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

• Grant Said,

Oops. My last post was supposed to be for your Beer and TV episode. Sorry.

Posted on June 15th, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Grant, you make some excellent points that we didn’t cover in our discussion. I certainly don’t want to soud llike Brewmasters was a “failiar”. The fact that it was the first major beer show on Discovery Channel no less, makes it a huge success in and of itself. It’s to bad that they could show 7 more episodes and learn from their mistakes. I do think it would get bigger ratings with just a few tweaks.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Posted on June 16th, 2012 at 10:11 am

• Mark Said,

I haven’t seen any other web sites ….sticking with yours. Personally, I like the format of your program. For TV, I know you don’t rate the beers on good or bad, but consider rating them on characteristics, or interview people sampling the beer. There are so many ways to keep it interesting for a tv viewer…. recipes, personalities, craft beer brew pub locations, the right beer for the right occasion. I’m glad you guys are sticking with it. Keep up the good work.

P.S. Consider reviewing a gluten free craft beer for people who suffer from celiacs.

Posted on June 18th, 2012 at 8:05 pm